Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Heirloom Tomato Panzanella

This recipe was introduced to me by my sister in law. She adds lemon cucumbers and red onions. We have also discussed how good it would be with avocado. So start with the below base and add whatever you like. 



Ingredients:
One baguette, sliced into 1 inch cubes
4 heirloom tomatos (I prefer Cherokee Purple and Pineapple)
A few chopped basil leaves
garlic
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Your favorite cheese (I used a garlic Jersey cheese from my farmer's market but my SIL used small mozzarella balls. You could also use feta or goat.)

Directions
Mix bread cubes with olive oil, salt, pepper and minced garlic. Bake at 375 until crispy and golden brown. 
Take them out and let them cool. 
Slice the tomatoes into bite sized pieces. 
Toss everything but the bread in a bowl with vinegar and olive oil to taste. 
Toss with cooled bread cubes and taste for seasoning. 

Serves 4-6 people

No comments:

Post a Comment